Since Any Winehouse was found dead in her London home in July, there has been much speculation over what caused her to lose her life. Today the coroner who performed the tests after Amy Winehouse passed away revealed the true reason for the soul singer’s sudden death. Amy, who was just 27 years old, died from consuming an excessive amount of alcohol. While it was released months ago that the singer was not found with any illegal substances in her body, she did consume over five times the legal limit of alcohol in the U.K. which caused her untimely and unexpected demise. In the U.K., the legal amount to operate an automobile is 80 milligrams of alcohol per 100 milliliters of blood. Depending on the person’s body type, the amount of alcohol that can be deemed fatal is about 350 milligrams. Upon her death, the singer had consumed an amount of alcohol that was estimated to bring her blood-alcohol content to 416 milligrams per 100 milliliters.
Amy had quit drinking completely in July when she was struggling to fight her addictions. When she relapsed and consumed such an overwhelming amount of alcohol, her body likely went into shock.
In interviews prior to the release of this information, Amy’s parents were open with their thoughts about how they thought their daughter’s death may have been caused. “Abstinence (from alcohol) gave her body such a fright, they thought it was eventually the cause of her death,” a source close to the family revealed in July after the singers death.
According to the coroner, the truth was in fact just the opposite. “The unintended consequence of such potentially fatal levels (of alcohol) was her sudden and unexpected death,” he wrote. Since Amy voluntarily put the alcohol into her system, the coroner stated “misadventure” to be her cause of death.
“It is some relief to finally find out what happened to Amy. We understand there was alcohol in her system when she passed away, it is likely a build-up of alcohol in her system over a number of days,” her family said in a statement released today. “The court heard that Amy was battling hard to conquer her problems with alcohol and it is a source of great pain to us that she could not win in time. She had started drinking that week again after a period of abstinence. It underlines how important our work with the Amy Winehouse Foundation is to us, to help as many young people and children as we can in her name. It means a lot to us and from the overwhelming messages of support we have had since Amy died, we know she meant a great deal to people all over the world.”
While Amy Winehouse’s untimely and very unexpected death came as a shock to many, we hope fans find some comfort in the closure that this information offers. As many would agree, Amy’s legacy lives on through the Amy Winehouse Foundation and of course, through her legendary and soulful songs. On behalf of her fans, we here at Celebstalk would like to send out condolences to her friends and family and make a promise that we’ll never forget the amazing talent Amy shared with us during her short life. For the fans, it’s plain to see “We only said goodbye with words….”
Rest in peace, Amy.